Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The bridegroom who will not fail

“‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church” Ephesians 5:31-32

Yesterday my wife and I celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary. We had a nice night out courtesy of my mother watching the kids, and she also gave us a gift card to a local restaurant. So if you are reading thanks Mom!  As I reflect back on the eight years of our marriage I wish I could say that I have met and even surpassed the Biblical standard for being a husband found in Ephesians 5:28-29:

"In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.  For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body."

I wish I could say I have always loved my wife in such a manner. That I have never been selfish. Never said a cross word to her. Never lacked for courage. Never failed in my duty. However, I can't say any of that for I have made many mistakes. My wife has always forgiven me and loved me despite my flaws, but the fact is that I have made mistakes, and will continue to make mistakes despite the fact that I love and cherish my wife.

 As I was thinking about my failures and inadequacies I thought how wonderful Christ is. The Bible uses marriage as a metaphor for Christ's relationship with the church. The church, which consists of those who have been regenerated spiritually (or born-again, saved, made right with God, etc) through faith in Christ, is called "The Bride of Christ" and Christ is referred to as "The Bridegroom." In contrast to me, Christ is the perfect bridegroom. He is never unloving to his bride. He never is selfish. Never speaks crossly to her. Never lacks for courage. Never fails in his duty. Christ came to Earth and lived a sinless life, and then was crucified. He did this so he could be the perfect sacrifice for sin. He was a perfect sacrifice for sin so that he could redeem his bride who was guilty under God's law. He presents his bride which now is holy and without blemish in the eyes of God. Ephesians 5:25-27 says:

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.

How wonderful and powerful is Christ's love for his bride the church! In times of trouble when we see no hope, in times of disillusionment when we are frustrated by the fact we keep sinning, in times of pain and suffering, and in times of testing let those of us who have been redeemed by Christ remember that our bridegroom is always faithful. That he cannot fail us. That even in our darkest hour he is working in our lives and that we should persevere in faith and patience trusting in the love and will of our Lord and Savior.

Think of it this way, Christ suffered and died a death he did not deserve to die for his bride the church. Do we think he will abandon us or fail us now? 

Indeed he will not!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment